Saturday, January 1, 2011

Vietnamese plum village in Thailand

I'm now 3h north of bangkok in a Monestary with Vietnamese monks and nuns. The first night i spent with 120 nuns! I arrived late so the men's hamlet's gate was closed. Now I've just spent the second night at the monks hamlet. I'm here with the Hong Kong Sangha. The other guests are families and stay with the nuns. I'm the only guest at the monks place. There are 81 monks here. All very young 16-26 mostly from the Phat Nhat Monestary in vietnam. The government hired people to harass the monks and dissolved it. So they left for Thailand. Its a sad story. But the monks and nuns practice with much happiness and love. They learn English because they will go to other Monestaries all over the world later.

Today is lazy day, which means no regular practice schedule. But still many get up are 430 for meditation and now they are busy in the kitchen.

I feel very calm being here. Its quite cold during the night. Unexpected for Thailand. Daytime quite comfortable.

I'll stay here till around the 2nd Jan and then do little travel before coming back to Hong Kong.

1 comment:

Armando said...

happy new yr brother, wish I could join u with the sangha! miss u a lot much love armen. i ran in central park 4 miles as mindfully as I could! peace!