Friday, January 21, 2011

Settling in - work-life-balance

I notice how I've "settled-in" at this hotel. My anonymous construction worker friends across the street cheerily working/being together seemingly day and night. As is usual in Asia they live at the construction site. It's 22:12 some are still doing work. Some are cooking, or smoking while viewing the GoGo bars across the street.

The guy at the hotel works mostly 12h shifts. He stays at the hotel. He works odd hours, and of course it saves money. One day off per week. He spends it too at the hotel.

From my (our/western) perspective we may think this is terrible. Is it? "He has no home!". "He is enslaved/lives at work!". Exploitation comes to mind.

But. Monks do the same! Traditional living/farming etc. Or small business/shop where the shopkeeper live with his family in the shop.

In Buddhism we talk about the dangers of associating our selves with our work. Because if we loose our work, or it doesn't give us satiesfaction there is seemingly no room for happiness. "So don't be attached/identify to/with your job!"

Still. I wonder. They have a kind if community, albeit temporary in our way of seeing it.

Now when I said I've settled in that is also quite temporary. I'm in a different room in the same hotel as I stayed in the beginning if the year. It's not the best, its not the cheapest. But somewhat convenient. I'm used to it. It doesn't take long to develop habits. Then expectations. And possible future disappointments.

I'm having a cold. Mostly just a stuffy nose. Lying down or being in non air conditioned places is a little strain. The aircon in my room isn't really that good. During daytime it doesn't do that good of a job. I'm reading some Buddhist books. It's been a while. Maybe I started thinking too much and recognized that. Wearing my beads I walk through streets lined with food, bars, restaurants on the sidewalk, gogo bars with young girls or young guys. I've seen some shows. They are what they are. Some a bit explicit. The bouncers on the street that tries to get you go to their place like to touch the beads. Maybe it's curious for them. Maybe its just a good conversations starter. Some ask if I'm a priest. I ask if they'd like me to be. Some ask if I'm a monk. I say not yet.

Sodom? Well there is another Goodmorning.

I've previously considered if we could live in communities where some of us still do programming new revolutionary projects ala google. But still have more room for spiritually. A kind of software monastery. Healthy food, at regular times and exercise, walking meditation Etc. Yes you can do it at your company, in silicon valley there is often free food, gym at work, sometimes even room for resting when coding to long. However, there is little spiritual support. There is ( of course?) a demand to produce. If you can't you're out, sooner out later. There is stress. Or perceived stress like I say, by some. One difference with a monastery may be that the monastery is supposed to have as a goal to further the spiritual development of the individuals.

When leaving my work google had become more of a company in my mind. It would have been interesting if it could have transcended the company corporate stuff that eventuality comes with hiring ex corp goons from other companies. Penny turning etc.

I always wondered how it would be if they've "awarded" everyone with 1 year paid leave to do whatever they wanted after working for say 5 years. What fantastic things could have come from that? Or would it just have been a money drain?

No comments: