Sunday, January 16, 2011

Compassionate consumption

Is a term that came to me here in Thailand. I think/hope nobody is starving here in Thailand. But many are living in very little. May it be food, or sleep like my friend. He said that sometimes he studies and work to suppor thimself that he may only have few (2) hours sleep. In a way there seems to be a willingness to work. I was told that people in thailand doesn't try to cheat you or streak. They try to do something and get paid for it. But i think they do it with a pride and hopefully nobody looks down at them for it.

Just now I witnessed a bar maid who bought some flowers threaded on a string from a woman who made it and walks the street selling them. From some perspective its not a needed thing. Or maybe as a Swede would say - it is not needed - has no real functional value. Its purely decorative and probably must be thrown away next day. Still, it does indirectly provide her with food and shelter maybe. It's not begging for money.

I see some aspect of consuming something one doesn't need that allows you to be compassionate.

It now hangs on the small wall altar and fits better than the balloons there.

It makes me consider my reluctance to buy anything. Its normative so much about the money as about room in my bag. Travelling through 16 countries last year i was acutely aware of stuff that I carry with me. But I'll start thinking of it as a way of being compassionate. Will see what I do...

No comments: