Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Monkey business

Yesterday i was walking around trying to find a "wooden" temple. Many seem to be made of wood but from outside its difficult to tell.

Found another one. There was a monk there. He's been there for 8 years, he's 21 now. He's from the neighbourhood.

There are many young monks on Asia buy particular in Thailand.

A thai friend offered an explaination; He has himself lived in temple for some years. Its free and you get free education there. Much Buddhism of course but he learned English there and speaks it quite well.

Its an interesting setup. Of course there are limited things you can study there but no direct requirements except "being monk" while there.

The monk has mobile phone, goes jogging and work out his biceps muscles in his room he said. He doesn't meditate but takes part of the shanting etc. I asked why he become monk. He said his English not good so he didnt try to explain so I don't know.

I guess in the old times Monestaries in the west were similar in some way. Aggregators of knowledge and "universities". In modern Hong Kong I noticed that social services, health care,elderly care, markets, community halls often are nearby temples.

1 comment:

SML said...

"In modern Hong Kong I noticed that social services, health care,elderly care, markets, community halls often are nearby temples."

This is an interesting observation. Is it really? Unfortunately, since Google Maps groups churches in the temple category, I was unable to figure out if this is indeed true.

My hunch is that churches might be built closed to social services partly as a marketing strategy, but my guess is that temples probably would not have the same intent.

My other thought is that maybe Hong Kong is just super crowdy and everything just appears to be nearby...

But alas I will give you the benefit of the doubt...

I do wonder if there's a way to technically deduce your claim though!