Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Buddha birthday in Guangzhou

Things appear random.

I arrived in left my hotel at 10pm went looking for food. Ended upb taking to some guys in the park, when it closed we went to look for food. One guy paid for us. He's just student but wouldn't let me pay even just for me. Very nice evening meeting genuine people.

Then I was walking home to my hotel I saw some guys with white t shirt with Zen style logo so I said hi. They explained that they're walking to the temple nearby, for Buddha's birthday. So I ask if I can join. They give me a t shirt and in the way we are. Most of the do protrations (kneeling to Buddha) on the road every few steps while chanting. We arrive a slow but timely long walk nearing 4am. Some leave, others rest a bit. Then the temple opens and they continue doing prostrations. They tell me that there police stopped them since they're afraid of any group doing anything so they stopped for  while. But then continued after police left, pretty brave, they'd been walking for hours when I meet them.

Then in the temple there is like a marathon of chanting for hours, finally we bathe the baby Buddha and I go home. I go to bed at 730!

The most interesting things can happen when walking around...

Now, tonight, who knows? Tomorrow I probably go to shenzhen...

No comments: