Saturday, September 4, 2010

Swedish Chinese Food during Swedish Govt Election Season - no flavor

Oh, I wow not to eat Chinese food in Sweden again. I mean, yes, it was not worse than typical "foreign" chinese food. I.e., it was a stir-fry pork file with some veggies. Most veggies felt like they came from cans. Maybe nothing is in season now. It also had the typical unidentifiable sauce that one gets with chinese food. Not much taste. Also, I got a bowl of rice and a plate, no chop-sticks. Asked for them and got them. Started taking some rice from the small bowl, put it on the flat plate. Stopped. Thought, what am I doing? Eating with chop-sticks is done from bowl, took some stir-fry and put it in the small bowl on top of the rice instead and chomped down with chop-sticks holding the bowl in my hand.

It made me totally miss my typical chinese meal, with many small dishes of delicious fresh vegetables, cha ye dan, much flavor, steaming warm, simple but so good! Well, soon enough I should be back east!

I was reading aftonbladet. No I didn't pay for it. It's currently full of election propaganda. The gist of this is that the "moderates" (right) are trying to convince people that they are a "workers party", and the social democrats trying to convince people that the moderates are worse than them. Really. The social democrats also typically have red big, huge font, picking on other parties, instead of saying what they stand for. They really just seem to want to be a "un-happiness-party" (yes, we have a word for that!).

A very interesting feature of the election is that public squares, one in each city typically, has "valstugor" ("election-cottages") on it "friggebod"-style. One for each major party, and then then stand there handing out information, giving speaches, etc. See pic from Linkoping.


--
.sigh

No comments: